Friday, October 14, 2011

My Free Bench

I needed a little bench to put by the front door. Nothing I found was small enough.  Then it occurred to me... Shop the House. 









I found this little end table that was discarded in my basement. My daughter bought it at a thrift store & used it as a nightstand in college, then left it at my house. It is really well built and the legs screw into metal brackets on the bottom. Probably from the fifties when they made furniture to last.




I removed the screws that held on the top shelf, sanded, then spray painted it with Rustoleum's Oil Rubbed Bronze-one of my favorites.  I didn't do the top because I planned to add an attached cushion. I asked my DH to please cut me a piece of scrap plywood the exact same size as the top.
I added foam, batting and fabric and upholstered to the plywood with heavy duty staples.  I also added some piping with the same material on the bottom by stapling it close to the edge.  Secret to upholstery is to stretch it tight, really tight. 
Then I screwed the board to the table from the underside.  I'm glad I added the piping.  It adds a professional touch.   


Here it is in the front entry, it's new home.  It's not perfect but I'm happy with it.  I'm also really happy with the price.  This whole project took less than two hours.  Sometimes it pays to shop the house and look at things in a new way.  What you need might be something you already have, it just needs a little tweaking.
Chic on a Shoestring Decorating

1 comment:

  1. Wow! great job!!!! I'm pasing on an award to you! Please go to my blog:

    http://inspiremedesigns.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete